10K TRAIL RUN
10K TRAIL RUN DESCRIPTION
The Underdown Trail Races are grassroots trail runs in Northern Wisconsin. It’s conveniently located only 6 miles off of Highway 51 and offers runners a wilderness experience on challenging trails. We look forward to seeing you this summer.
***PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING WARNINGS***
We want to be straightforward and make sure that you’re not getting into something you don’t expect.
- This is a challenging trail run on challenging terrain that goes through some remote areas.
- Cell phone service will be spotty at best.
- You should consider your ability and fitness carefully before signing up. You should be comfortable being along and have experience taking care of yourself in the woods.
- It is meant to be a physical and mental test that allows you to test your trail running mettle.
- If you have not trail run before, we recommend signing up one of our shorter races first.
- Bears are in the area. None were seen during the 2017 or 2018 races, but they are present. You should be comfortable and have experience in the woods in this type of event before signing up.
- Finish it and you just might burst with pride and happiness!
10K Registration (Limited to 100 runners)
– $20 (1/1/19 – 2/28/19)
– $30 (3/1/19 – 7/31/19)
– $40 (8/1/19 – 8/24/19)
(Plus UltraSignUp.com Fee). No day of race entry
*Please note that there is a $10 daily camping fee.
Each finisher of every distance will receive a finisher award. Awards will be given for the following:
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 39 & Under) Male and Female
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 40 – 55) Male and Female
- 1st/2nd/3rd – (Age 56+) Male and Female
Refunds, Transfers & Switches:
Entry fees are not refundable under any circumstance, however may be partially credited to another one of our events. Please contact us about transfers.
We DO NOT keep a waiting list for those that did not get in prior to the race selling out.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
Entry gets you:
We strive to provide you with a fun and challenging event that gives you a valuable experience. As part of that experience, you will get the following with your entry:
- Well-marked, backcountry challenging singletrack course
- Each registered racer receives the following:
- Free custom, reusable Underdown Trail Race tote bag
- Free custom, commemorative Underdown Trail Race pint glass
- Custom top 3 awards
- Stocked aid stations
- Complimentary coffee and hot chocolate before, during, and after the run for runners and guests.
- Food and snacks pre and post run
- After race party – grilled food, beer, and other goodies
- Limited edition Underdown Trail Race apparel will be available for purchase
Friday, August 23th
4:00-8:00pm: Packet Pickup/Check In at Race Headquarters at the Underdown Rec Area
Saturday, August 24th
7-930am: Packet pickup is available
10am: Race Start at RaceHQ. This is a loop race and you start and finish in the same spot.
Awards will get going after we have a good amount of award winners in. We don’t want to make you hang around all day.
**Times are subject to change
COURSE DETAILS & INFO
(the course map is accurate, but due to trees, tight trail, and elevation change, the overall distance and elevation gain isn’t perfect)
**Also, it’s important to note that this gps reading, your gps reading, and everyone else’s gps reading will likely be different. There is a lot of tree cover, winding trail, and up and down; therefore, it’s different ever time it’s recorded. It’ll be around 30+ miles.
- Elevation Gain: You can expect about 50-100 feet per mile. This terrain is very much glacial, up and down, and not easy. Expect a wilderness type experience on tough terrain.
- Surface/Surroundings: Mostly forest singletrack with a few gravel road crossings. The ground there is a result of glacial deposits. You can expect rocks, roots, dry to loamy dirt and everything in between. You’re traversing all the ups and downs that the glaciers left behind. In sections you’ll be on hillsides and then you’ll drop down into areas that have marshes near the trail. You’ll see lakes, ponds, and A LOT of trees.
- Aid Stations: You can expect stocked aid stations at several locations. The course crosses gravel roads several times, so you have plenty of crewing access as well. Some aid stations are manned by volunteers and some will be self serve. Food and Drink – Aid stations will have the following beverage and food choices available (but not limited to): Water, Tailwind Nutrition, Soft Drinks, Fruit, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, Chips, Potatoes & Salt, Cookies, Candy. *If you have special dietary requirements, please make sure to make use of your drop bags. The following is a map of the aid station locations. Aid stations #2 and #4 are larger, manned aid stations. The other aid stations will be more basic with water, Tailwind Nutrition, and other food items and may or may not have someone tending them – they may be self serve.
- Pacers & Crew: Pacers are not allowed. Any runner found running with a pacer who is not a registered runner (“a bandit”) will be disqualified. Your crew members may offer support anywhere on course.
- Info For Crews, Spectators and Family (runners please share this with your crews): It is critical that every runner’s crew or a spectator drives slowly and stays away from other runners near the aid stations. Vehicles near or at an aid stations can ruin the day for everyone.
- Headphones: We do not recommend the use of headphones. However, we won’t tell you can’t wear them. Full awareness of one’s surroundings, and the ability to communicate with other participants, race volunteers, and trail users not associated with the event are critical to everyone’s safety.
- Littering: Please don’t litter. If you are caught in the act of littering on course, you will be asked to leave and not invited back. If you see some trash someone else has dropped, please pick it up. There will be garbage bags at the aid stations.
- If You DNF: If you have to quit the race, please call or text 608-385-2706 with your name and number or alert the nearest aid station and they will alert that number. You are responsible to get yourself off course and back to home base. If you leave the course and fail to notify race officials, you are not welcome back to our races.
If you have any questions about the results, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org